Mai Masri is a Palestinian filmmaker who studied film at UC Berkeley and San Francisco State University. She directed and produced several award-winning films that have been screened worldwide. She founded Nour Productions in 1995 with her husband, filmmaker Jean Chamoun. Her films have received over 60 international awards including the Luchino Visconti Award in Italy 2003, the Asia Pacific Screen Award in Australia 2007, and the Mipdoc Trailblazer award in Cannes, 2011.
3000 NIGHTS 2015, 103 minutes, Feature film produced by Nour Productions (Lebanon), Orjouane Production (Lebanon) and Les Films d’Ici (France) in coproduction with Palestine, France, Jordan, Lebanon, UAE and Qatar.
– Circle Jury Award, Washington, DC International Film Festival, USA
– Young Jury Award, International Film Festival on Human Rights, Switzerland
– Jury Award, Women’s International Film and Television Showcase (TheWIFTS), USA
– Audience Award, Annonay International Film Festival, France 2015
– Audience Award, Valladolid Film Festival, Spain 2015
– TaoEdu Youth Award, Taormina International Film Festival, Italy 2016
– Best Film, Malmo Arab Film Festival, Sweden 2016
– Audience Award, Malmo Arab Film Festival, Sweden 2016
– Audience Award, Rotterdam Arab Camera Film Festival, Netherlands 2016
– Audience Award, Twin City Arab Camera Film Festival, USA 2016
– Best Actress Award, Mediterranean Film Festival of Annaba, Algeria 2016
– Kantara Award, Festival Arte Mare, Bastia, France 2016
– Best Screenplay, Carthage Film Festival, Tunisia 2011
33 DAYS 2007, 52 minutes, Al-Jazeera Documentary Channel, 2007
* First Prize, Valladolid Film Festival, Spain 2008
* Special Mention. Mediterranean Film Festival, Tetouan, Morocco, 2008
BEIRUT DIARIES: Truth, Lies and Videos 2006, 52 min, Nour Productions
* Best Documentary, Asia Pacific Screen Awards, Australia 2007
* First Prize, Biennale des Cinemas Arabes, Paris 2006
FRONTIERS OF DREAMS AND FEARS 2001, 56 min, ITVS
Won 14 international awards including:
* Best Documentary, Biennale des Cinémas Arabes, Paris, France 2002
* First Prize, International Women’s Film Festival in Torino, Italy 2002
* First Prize, Golden Sun Film Festival, Barcelona Spain 02
* First Prize, Ismailia International film Festival, Egypt 2001
* La Colombaia di Luchino Visconti, award, Ischia, Italy, 2003
* Award of the Youth of Geneva, Nord-Sud Film Festival, Switzerland, 2003
* Earth Vision Award, Tokyo, Japan 2001
* Jury Award, Beirut International Film Festival 2001
* Silver Award, Argentina Documentary Film Festival, Buenos Aires 2006
CHILDREN OF SHATILA 1989/50 min, NOUR Productions, Channel 4
– Best Director and Best Camera Award, Arab Screen Film Festival, London 1999
– Nominated for AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL AWARD, Amsterdam 1998
HANAN ASHRAWI: A WOMAN OF HER TIME 1995, 50min, BBC
– Best Documentary, One World Media Awards, UK, 1996.
– Award of the Public at IMA festival in Paris, 1996.
– Best Documentary, CMCA Palermo, Italy, 1997
CHILDREN OF FIRE 1990 / 50″ / MTC production for BBC
– First Prize, Cairo Television Festival (1995)
– Award of Public, Feminin Pluriel Festival in France.
Films Co-Directed by Mai Masri and Jean Chamoun
SUSPENDED DREAMS 1992/50″/TVE, MTC production for BBC2
– Grand Prix, FIMA Film Festival, Paris, 1993.
– Best Documentary, Damascus Film Festival in 1993.
WAR GENERATION-BEIRUT 1988/50″/IBT and MTC for BBC1
– Bronze Apple Award , National Educational Film Festival, USA,1990.
WILD FLOWERS: WOMEN OF SOUTH LEBANON 1986 / MTC
– Special Jury and Best Music Award, Valencia Film Festival, Spain1987.
– Film Critics Award, Carthage, Tunisia
– Special Jury Award, Damascus Film Festival.
UNDER THE RUBBLE 1983/40/ MTC
– Special Jury Award, Valencia Film Festival, Spain1983.